Summer is flying by and soon the 2014-15 school year will begin. This means a new officer team, new challenges and new opportunities for our many chapters across the state. For chapter officers, this time of year means developing your individual chapters Program of Work (POW), or how your chapter’s goals will tie in to the Florida Annual Business Plan (a document which will be released later) as well as aligning with the international DECA program of work. Amar Hodzic, the DECA Southern Region Vice President, suggests the following tips when you are preparing your Program of Work:
1. Incorporate the Entire Team - When ownership is accepted among all the officer team from your school, those individuals are more likely to dedicate time and follow through with these different tasks or plans.
2. What do the members want to see? - Make your different tasks or goals member oriented. Your members want to see certain aspects of their chapter shine. Ask for their input if possible, members love to feel that their opinion counts!
3. Brainstorm - When a group works together to create something, the possibilities are endless. Everyone has a different imagination and this is their time to shine. Remember that no idea is a bad one.
4. Take your Time - "Rome wasn't build in a day!" Many aspects of your Program of Work are going to require input from others as well as approval. Put in the time and don't get frustrated if these document takes time to produce. The outcomes will affect all of your members, make sure that everyone is on board.
5. Execution is Key - Work to gain your members excitement and engagement with reasonable and attainable goals. Your approach to the plan will make a difference in how your members react.
This is a busy time of year for students, though it is important that every chapter sets goals early. The five key aspects of a goal are: Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Timely. When looking to prepare for your DECA year, always remember that your Florida DECA officers are always here to help in any way we can.
To see the original article by Amar published on DECA Direct visit: http://www.decadirect.org/June-2014/5-Ways-to-Put-a-WOW-in-your-POW/