Chapter Spotlight: Stoneman Douglas DECA
Here are all the quick facts that I spoke about in my vlog, their accomplishments speak for themselves! There’s no way to describe how awesome this chapter is. Their hard work and effort doesn’t ever go unnoticed and Florida DECA is proud to have them as a Chapter and to represent them.
• Officer team of 36 officers: 2 Co-Presidents, 13 executives and 23 directors
• Advisors: Mr. Albert, Mrs. Webster, Mrs. Cutler (who we appreciate and love for their endless dedication to our chapter each and every year)
• 5th largest chapter in the world: Over 600 members, 55 professional members, and 30 alumni
• 130 to states, 30+ to states (record of 57 to last year’s ICDC)
• Yearly Events:
◦ Shark Tank: Every year we hold our own shark tank simulation at school and invite business partners to become “sharks” to help prepare our students for competition
◦ Role Play nights: Right before states competition, we invite our business partners and members of the community to come and help judge and prepare our students for competition
◦ DECA Socials: Our monthly meetings for our members consist of themed activities that promote teamwork, creativity, and creativity. During holidays, we make sure to have activities in those themes, and we also use our socials as opportunities to promote our chapter projects! We are holding a Zumbathon at our next DECA Social with a donation drive in spirit of the Holiday season.
◦ Networking Event: Every year, we invite our local chamber of commerce members to our school and host a networking event where our DECA members learn the key aspects of networking and then get to apply them as they meet new business professionals from our community.
• Three 2017-2018 Chapter Projects:
◦ Community Service: Voices for Venezuela
◦ Public Relations: Sea la Vie
◦ Entrepreneurship Promotion: CEO
• Past Chapter Projects:
◦ Marketing in the Middle: We began a DECA chapter at our local middle school, which is currently still in place today and even has their own officer team!
◦ Start Fresh: We started a garden at our school in which we promoted efficient conservation techniques for planting, and emphasized the importance of environmental sustainability within businesses and elementary schools nearby
◦ Project Giveaway: We rose awareness for the homeless through a series of events that incorporated our members in ways that they could assist the homeless. Our most popular event was our PB & J making, which we did 4 times throughout the year and resulted in over 3,500 sandwiches being made for donation towards the Broward Outreach Center
It was really fun to work with this Chapter and I always enjoy speaking with them and spending time with them. The members of this chapter are the type that make you want to keep you DECA friends forever. I’m so happy to have made this about them and if you ever want to learn more about them, take a look at their twitter! @MSD_DECA
If you have any questions or concerns please reach out! I’m here to help YOU.