One of DECA’s four guiding principles is Community Oriented. In an attempt to be the most Community Oriented DECA member you can be, Team 58 strongly encourages you to go out to your community and provide some assistance. Volunteer your time, raise items, support local causes, and most importantly, find something that you’re passionate about.
There are so many reasons to lend a helping hand to your community this summer, here’s a list of the top 10 reasons I have found:
#10: It's good for you.
Volunteering provides physical and mental rewards. It:
· Reduces stress: Experts say that when you focus on someone other than yourself, it reduces your tension.
· Makes you healthier: Moods and emotions, like optimism, joy, etc.
#9: It saves resources.
Volunteering provides valuable community services so more money can be spent on local improvements.
· The estimated value of a volunteer's time is $15.39 per hour. Imagine what just a few hours of service could do for your community!
#8: Volunteers gain professional experience.
You can test out a career.
#7: It brings people together.
As a volunteer, you:
· Unite people from diverse backgrounds to work toward a common goal
· Build teamwork, make friends, and network
#6: It promotes personal growth.
Understanding community needs helps foster empathy.
#5: Volunteering strengthens your community.
As a volunteer you help:
· Support families (daycare and eldercare)
· Improve schools (tutoring, literacy)
· Support youth (mentoring and after-school programs)
· Beautify the community (beach and park cleanups)
#4: You learn a lot!
Volunteers learn things like these:
· Self: Volunteers discover hidden talents that may change your view on yourself.
· Community: Volunteers gain knowledge of local resources available to solve community needs.
#3: You get a chance to give back.
People like to support community resources that they use themselves or that benefit people they care about.
#2: Volunteering encourages civic responsibility.
Community service and volunteerism are an investment in our community and the people who live in it.
#1: You make a difference.
Every person counts!
Be someone to make a difference with your free time; have a great summer Florida DECA!