A year, although 365 days, can feel like nothing more than a blink of an eye. Where has the time gone? Why is it that when I am bored, doing nothing but staring at the wall, the clock stops ticking. But when I am enjoying myself, time seems to fly by. As I look back on this year, it has gone by in a blink of an eye.
Blinking: Step by Step or “My Year of Florida DECA”
1. Initially, your eyes have to be open. I campaigned at the SCDC, trying to secure my spot as a Florida DECA Vice President. Although I was nervous, the joy that I experienced that weekend was much greater than that of fear. I was elected!
2. Your eyelids start to lower. ICDC in Salt Lake City was one of the best weeks of my life! DECA love and devotion flood and overtake the city. All around me, people have the same passion that I have.
3. Your eyelids finally close. Eight months after I started my journey, I was in Orlando with over 300 Florida DECA members for the Annual Florida DECA Leadership Training Conference. My fellow officers and I ran a great conference and left with hundreds of new Facebook friends!
4. Your eyes start to peak open as lids rise. I found myself in our nation’s capital. The Ultimate DECA Power Trip is a leadership conference organized by our national officers. It is much smaller than ICDC, but still has that same great DECA feeling! Connecting with Chartered Association Officers from all over the Southern and North Atlantic regions, fellow officers and I made plenty of new contacts and ideas to help make Florida DECA even better!
5. Eyes return to open position. Finally, as I am ending my year, my blink, I am preparing for the Florida DECA Career Development Conference, like the officer teams before me. I wish you all the best of luck on your competitions and I urge you all to cherish the whole weekend and all the other wonderful experiences that you will have with DECA… because it will all be over in the blink of an eye.